Wasn't my grandma a beauty? This photo was taken when she was about 18 years old, just before she married my grandpa.
About five years ago my grandma was diagnosed with colon cancer. She opted for surgery at the time, and enjoyed four good cancer free years after that. Then in July of this year the cancer came back, but this time it had spread to her liver. She chose to do chemotherapy and started treatments about 5 months ago. With the exception of one major setback in August, she seemed to tolerate the chemo relatively well, and it even helped to reduce some of the symptoms she was having from the cancer. When we moved in with my Grandma toward the end of October, she was doing great! The only help she needed from us was mostly just preparing meals and taking care of the house, but she was still very independent with everything else (even with climbing and descending the stairs everyday! -- although I always tried to be right there with her on the stairs, just in case).
On Friday, November 19, Grandma went in for the last scheduled round of a series of chemo treatments. The doctors and nurses warned her that this particular dose might make her mouth more sore give her more side effects than the previous treatments had. Well, they were right. As my aunt said in regards to this last chemo treatment, "You never know how much is too much until it is." Grandma's body just couldn't tolerate that last round of chemo, and after three weeks of sickness and other complications, Grandma passed away just before 9:00 AM Friday morning.
It was hard to see my Grandma's health deteriorate so quickly during those last three weeks of her life. As I wrote on my extended family's website, "It really breaks my heart to see Grandma like this. I just want her to get better and be able to interact with us and her visitors, or I want her to be able to pass quickly with as little pain as possible. This in between stuff is so awful!"
Well, as it turns out, I guess I got my wish when I said "I want her to be able to pass quickly". I just hope the "with as little pain as possible" part was also true.
It is a strange experience to live with someone as they go through the dying process and to be with them when they pass away. Something I have never experienced before. Definitely something I will never forget.
I was in denial about my Grandma's condition and about just how close she was to death right up until the moment I went to check on her yesterday morning and found her not breathing. I think most of us were in denial about it. We all hoped she had more time; that she would make one more rebound (albeit a small one) before the cancer finally took her. I suppose wishing she could have stayed with us a little longer is a selfish request, but I miss her already.
I was in denial about my Grandma's condition and about just how close she was to death right up until the moment I went to check on her yesterday morning and found her not breathing. I think most of us were in denial about it. We all hoped she had more time; that she would make one more rebound (albeit a small one) before the cancer finally took her. I suppose wishing she could have stayed with us a little longer is a selfish request, but I miss her already.
I am so grateful for the the opportunity I had to live with Grandma Ruth and to be with her during the last few weeks of her life. She was a truly selfless woman and was always serving others, especially her family. I am so thankful I was able to give back just a tiny bit of all the love, service and sacrifice she has given to me and my family over the years. It is an experience I would never trade for anything else in the world.
Finally, I want to share with you the following beautiful experience; the last moment I had with Grandma.
The night before my grandma passed, my Aunt Marie, her daughters Shannon and Karen, and my Mom were at the house with me. Shannon, Karen and I were sitting with Grandma in her room. Grandma had been mostly unresponsive since Sunday night, so we were just sitting on her bed, holding her hands, and talking to her or to each other. As we were sitting there, an almost overwhelming feeling came to me that I wanted to sing "Silent Night" to Grandma. I asked Karen and Shannon if they would sing with me. It wasn't until we reached the end of the first verse that the words finally hit us:
Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace
All three of us were overcome with emotion and could barely sing through the tears as we reached the words, "Sleep in heavenly peace". It was a very powerful moment. Marie and my mom joined us as we continued singing other hymns and children's Primary songs to her throughout the rest of the evening. I will never forget that sweet serenade we were able to give to Grandma on her last night here on earth.
Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace
All three of us were overcome with emotion and could barely sing through the tears as we reached the words, "Sleep in heavenly peace". It was a very powerful moment. Marie and my mom joined us as we continued singing other hymns and children's Primary songs to her throughout the rest of the evening. I will never forget that sweet serenade we were able to give to Grandma on her last night here on earth.
I love you Grandma.

13 comments:
My thoughts are with you. John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
I'm so sorry Anna. You and Rob have been so kind to stay with and take care of your Grandma. I'm sure she was so grateful to have you guys around during her last days. I just lost a cousin last week and did the whole funeral thing, and although it is NOT fun, at least we have the comfort of the plan of salvation and eternal families. Love you guys!
Anna, I'm sorry your grandma was in so much pain the last few weeks. Your post is just so beautiful.
such a sweet tribute. hugs to you at this time.
I'm sorry for your loss. It seems like you are taking comfort in the beauty of those last days and moments with her. And yes, she is beautiful!
O, Anna girl, I am so sorry to hear that. I had also hoped when you moved and left us that she would get "better" for a bit and have some fun with you in the house. Blessings aren't always shapped the way we think they should be though, are they? My thoughts are with you. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks for sharing Anna!
Your grandma was blessed by you and Rob's sacrifice to be with her at the end.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who is missing Grandma Ruth tonight!
What a beautiful woman, a beautiful life and an unforgettable time in your life. I believe the most spiritual and intimate moments of this life is being there at the moments precious spirits enter this world and and the moment they leave. You were blessed to be a part of such an incredible moment. My thoughts, prayers and tears are with you and all your family. Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful slide show and endearing story.
Anna,
You are amazing! Taking care of your grandma and being a mom. Wow! I am sure you have had some really tiring days!
When my grandma passed people kept saying to me "Now she REALLY knows and TRULY appreciates all you have done for her" It was comforting to me to know that although she was not with us anymore she still exists and is now free of pain and has all of her "wits" about her. I hope that can be comforting to you too. I am sorry for your loss and will keep you and your family in my prayers!!
Love Jenny
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing such a tender moment, it brings the spirit!
What a beautiful tender mercy that you were able to have those last special moments with her.
I hope it's a special Christmas season for you guys this year as you are able to gather with family and share the memories and blessings that she has left with you until you can be together again.
So sorry for your loss. So glad that your final memories of her were happy ones. The reunion in Heaven will be wonderful!
What a sweet experience. May you be blessed with comfort and peace this Christmastime.
Post a Comment